Sunday, October 5, 2008

MJ turned 5!

It has been a whole weekend of celebrating MJ's fifth birthday. It started out Friday morning when MJ got to pick breakfast. We had donut holes and lattes out front as requested. These "coffee talks" (with a heavy Boston accent) have become a special time for MJ and I.
MJ then went to school where he was king for the day. He decorated his own crown and got to select a special book to read at home with us. He brought a Curious George book home.
We then asked him to pick out what he'd like for dinner and in typical 5 year old style he selected lobsters, mushrooms, and baked potatoes. So we went downtown and he hand picked out our lobsters for dinner. At dinner MJ sat, head in hands and said, "I can't believe I'm five." Clearly Mom needs to keep her bewilderment to herself! But he followed with, "I thought I was six!" I don't think he gets it! :)
Annabelle gave him a Woody doll from Toy Story and after opening it he proclaimed, "This is the best birthday ever!" He also opened his gift from Mike's mom and grandmother. He got a bunch of noisy musical instruments which he loved and so did Annabelle. He was a one man band playing the keyboard with his feet and banging on some wooden thing.


On Saturday he woke to his Gammy, Poppy, and Aunt Kristi who had flown in the night before for his birthday. We all hung out in the morning doing last minute peparations for his pizza party. The party was a success. Every kid got to make their own pizzas, decorate a cupcake, color an apron and all in all have a good time. After the party we headed to the beach and collected beach glass. It was an activity MJ has been eager to share with Gammy, Poppy, and Aunt Kristi. Chuck, Clare and Guinny met us there. MJ at one point stripped off his shirt and said he was going for some exercise. He ran down the beach and back stopping along the way to do some pushups. Perhaps I should follow his lead!

Once we finally got home everyone was pretty pooped, we carried in Thai and opened a few presents. The rest we saved for the morning. Aunt Kristi's gift overshadowed the rest. Who can resist a robotic dog that rolls over, plays dead, pees, begs and farts. It's a 5 year old's dream come true.

No comments: